Monday, September 2, 2013

Monday Of Musings: Garden Of Sinners #1: "Overlooking View"


So. Long time no see people, it is a long and uneventful story so I won't try to explain. However because I do not wish for Chris to come and murder me with a yo yo, I am back. Hopefully for good this time. 

So Brandon bought The Garden Of Sinners complete box set. It was rather expensive so he told me it was not an option at all whether I watch it with him. So I hauled over and did just that. You should know that not only have I not read the light novel. (I think thats what it is, not a manga) But I had literally never heard of the series at all, so this was a rather different experience for me. So if I sound ever so slightly ignorant, well, it is because I am. Very ignorant.

So this is the first movie of seven plus an OVA that is included in the box. (The box set was rather impressive. For what it is worth) It is not however the first chronologically in the series. And yes, this does make it one of the biggest mind fucks I've seen in a while, although the oddity of the order of episodes is not the only reason for that.

So as you could guess from the fact that this isn't first chronologically wise. You jump right into the show without ANY explanation whatsoever. You just see a chick in an empty apartment, and a dude walks in and the chick doesn't like ice cream. The thing that is weirdest about this is the fact that generally speaking when you have any sort of story that picks up en medias res (lulz im using my english class. Thats fancy speak for "in the middle") it is generally full of excitement, and is generally why they start in the middle. So they can slam you over the head with action and excitement so even though you are not really sure who these people are or what they are doing. It is really cool and/or engrossing. This is not the case with Garden Of Sinners,  it starts in the middle, while not having a single clue as to what is really going on, and it is really quite boring. This is not always the best idea for shows to do, but because it is (apparently) a rather famous light novel and whatnot. So people will grind on a little bit until it gets good. However, just be warned that yes, it is really really slow at the start. However you very slowly start to understand a little bit as to what is going on and then towards the end it actually gets exciting. The next couple start to make the grind very worthwhile, but I'm not going to get overly into that because I figure that I can eek out several more posts out of them. (see chris, planning for the future.) I am not going to really get into the characters or anything like that because quite frankly, you don't learn a whole lot about them in this movie. And also, well, I'm feeling rather lazy. I have met my quota for the day. So that's gonna be it. 

Good to be back people

Manere Simiteim amicus

No comments:

Post a Comment