Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Brandons Thoughts: Dub vs Sub

 Usually I prefer to watch anime subbed simply because I have little to no faith in English voice actors. Simply put in my opinion most English voice actors suck, I said most because there are some rare examples where English dubbed is better than the subbed. They are better for reasons like the direct translation doesn't really make sense and the studio doing the dubbing makes the anime their own, meaning they add things that only make sense in English. Basically the studio doesn't simply take the Japanese script and say it in English. Also the actors make it look like the character they are playing is meant for them, not for a different actor. A major pet peeve of mine is when actors seem like they stepped into their role but didn't bother trying to add any real emotion to their acting. When a character is happy the voice actor should sound happy or when something epic happens, their voice should add to the epicness of the scene. When that happens I feel like a dubbed anime blows the subbed version out of the water, sadly this rarely ever happens. One example would be High School of the Dead. The actors did their job and had fun doing it, which made the anime seem more fun overall. They also throw in western jokes and add the word fuck to every sentence, which makes everything more fun. Sadly this is one of the few anime that manages to do that. Others try but when voice acting and emotion clash it leaves a bad taste in my mouth which is why I generally stick with the subbed version of a anime. I don't know if anyone else feels this way or if I managed to piss of a lot of people, either way I would love to hear your views on the issue of subbed vs dubbed so if you've got the time drop a comment below so I can see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment